This kind-of is continuation of my last post on The Testament… I was saying something about there’s plenty I can do in the here and now.
Saturday I found out it’s not that hard to just go and do that (but believe me I’ve struggled in wanting to go but not actually doing it for about a month). Want to see humility and thankfulness? Go here (but not right around when it’s getting dark because they are all leaving or at least they were when I was there). I know I need to go back, if nothing else than to learn what the Beatitudes just might mean. Or any other verse that talks about the poor or the homeless. Funny how we collect stuff that we don’t use for years when someone could actually really use … today:
- That other pair of shoes that you never wear.
- Those pants that aren’t your favorite and haven’t worn in a year or two but are just fine.
- Those sweaters that you for one reason or the other don’t end up wearing all season long.
- That extra food that won’t get eaten because all the family is gone and you will probably end up throwing out but is still perfectly good.
- That jacket given to you from another company you worked at but don’t anymore and just don’t end up wearing.
- Those bags you got from some business conference or won as a “prize” at some training thing
- That long underwear you don’t use because really we live in Virginia and cmon it never gets that cold 🙂
- The extra pair of gloves you keep just in case you wear a particular jacket
Funny how we collect stuff sometimes, isn’t it? What was interesting was the guys and gals I talked with almost all asked me what church I’m with. If you’ve read this far, you likely know I do go to a church, but wasn’t doing this on behalf of them. It was just me. Some may say isn’t that dangerous? Maybe. But I’ll tell you I wasn’t scared talking with any of them (except one guy who seemed a bit on the crazy side and someone else agreed he thinks he is too).